Saturday, April 4, 2020

One-Block Wonder Atlantic Beach Path Quilt Finished!

My first One-Block Wonder quilt is done! Yep, the Atlantic Beach Path quilt is finished, all but the label. Soon I will attach the embroidery module to my new-to-me Bernina Artista 730, and embroider for the first time with this machine. 


Quilt Details: 

Quilt size: 123" x 124", and it weighs 15 pounds. 

Technique: One-Block Wonder, with the hexagons appliquéd to the center panel and to the borders. 

Batting: a base of 80/20 cotton/poly, with Quilters' Dream wool on top. 

Fabric: Center panel: Call of the Wild series by Hoffman Fabrics, Atlantic Beach Path (hence the quilt’s name). I used 7 panels; 6 were for hexagons. The majority of the hexagons were from the Countryside Floral line by Maywood Studio, with many cut from the outer border fabric. 

It took 186 hours to piece the quilt, and 34.5 hours to sew the twisted tucks in the light blue border. There is a narrow navy flange on one side of the tucked border, and a wider flange between the gold and royal blue borders. The wider flange is ruched every 2”, with a square Czech glass bead sewn on, creating the scalloped effect. 

Thread: Bottom Line #60, So Fine #50, Omni #40, King Tut #40, Signature #40, Mettler #50 – all these, because I'm using a variety of colors, and these are what I have on hand. 

There are 439 hexagons in the quilt. No hexie quilting designs were repeated. 

There are about 1,000 pearls, about 250 square Czech glass beads, and 40 hexagon-shaped Swarovski crystals in a ‘spray’ configuration at the top above the panel. It took 52 hours to do all the beading. 

Hours in the quilt, not counting the label: 510.5, with 242 in the quilting alone. 

The quilt will be for our youngest son and daughter-in-law, Caleb and Maria; but first I plan to enter it in our County and State Fairs. I hope to enter it in other shows, but I must find some that do not restrict the width of a quilt to 112”. 



























12 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing! You have an amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So incredibly awesome!! You know the hours you have into it...how much do you have invested in the fabrics, batting and embellishments? This is a gorgeous, valuable quilt...I hope you get it appraised!! You do have all the info for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I spent $689.44 in the making of this quilt. However, I do have quite a lot of leftovers. Each time I use those for something else, I lower the cost of this quilt. You know what I mean? 😉 Yes, I will get it appraised. 😊

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, Sarah -- this is STUNNING!! It weighs fifteen POUNDS?! Is that the weight of the beads, do you think, or mainly just the overall size and double battings? I'm curious about your threads, too, since you've mentioned several that I've pulled out and am considering for my next project. What machine are you quilting with, and when you use King Tut in your needle do you use it in the bobbin as well or do you use one of those other threads in the bobbin with Tut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca! The beads and pearls don't even weigh a quarter of a pound; it's just the quilt, with its double batting and large size that make it weigh so much. My machine is an 18" Handi Quilter Avanté. I used So Fine #50 in the bobbin, all the way through the quilt, regardless of what I used on top, because I had the perfect color in that thread. Sometimes I use Bottom Line #60, which is nice because one doesn’t have to refill the bobbin as often.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and the only time I use the variegated King Tut in the bobbin is when the back is plain-colored, and I really want to jazz it up with the quilting. 😊

      Delete
  4. Awesome!!!! Can you further explain the outer twisted border? How did you evenly please it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!! Hiw did you pleat the outer border?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I measured... marked... folded... top-stitched --- and then pressed one edge of the tucks one way, and the other edge the other way, pressing so that the 'turn' of the pleats created a wave, and placing a pearl at each 'wave turn'. I'd embellished little girls' dresses with this technique quite a few times in days gone by.

    ReplyDelete