Monday, March 30, 2020

Exchanging Winter Quilt for Summer Quilt

I'm washing bedding, including the wool/velvet/corduroy/velour Jewel Box Log Cabin quilt, which is now drying on the back deck. I will replace it with the Harvest Sun quilt. I’m very thankful for my new washer! It handled this huge, heavy quilt quite well, although I did have to reposition it when it started spinning. Since I could see this was clearly a big workout for the machine, I turned off the Repeat Rinse that I had originally turned on, so it wouldn’t have to spin the quilt again. 

I’m going to cut the Jewel Box Log Cabin quilt apart and remake it into a couple of smaller quilts. It was a disappointment, because despite prewashing everything in hot water with color catchers twice, a couple of the reds ran in subsequent washes, soaked into one particular white, and turned those patches pink. Spoiled the Jewel Box effect. Also, I didn’t use batting, figuring the quilt was thick and heavy enough

But I discovered I don’t like quilts with no batting. Plus, one of the pieces I used for backing shrunk, and the thing doesn’t lie flat. One more thing: I don’t like how some of the fabric feels whilst I’m a-tryin’ to sleep under it. Also, it’s too heavy. So obviously the thing to do is to cut it down and create throws out of it.

I could put the matching pillows on the loveseats, but Larry uses the leather one and would be unimpressed with having to remove a pack of decorative pillows every time he wanted to lie down. The cats use the other one, and they’d get hair all over the pillows. 🙄

So, obviously again, they go on the leather loveseat. 🤣😆😅😂

It's starting to sprinkle! Time to get the quilt in. It had just enough time -- and a nice enough breeze -- to get dry. Mmmm... it smells sooo good – like Tide Fresh Scent, Downy softener, and country sunshine, all mixed into one. 

I no sooner put the throw pillows on the loveseat than Teensy came to see what I was doing, to inspect the job, and to pat and fluff the pillows into shape. Satisfied, he then lay down and commenced to conducting his afternoon ablutions.

The last picture shows the Harvest Sun quilt on our bed.















1 comment:

  1. Teensy is adorable with the pillows. I would be cutting up Jewel Box as well...how frustrating to have the fabric bleed and shrink after all the work you put into it not bleeding and shrinking!

    ReplyDelete