Thursday, March 22, 2018

Americana Eagle, Maybe Done Now?

I wasn't satisfied with the background for the Americana Eagle, so have done more painting with the Inktense pencils.  I think maybe now I'm done, and ready to start attaching the borders.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Americana Eagle, Colored with Inktense Pencils

This afternoon, I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a box of Inktense pencils, using a gift certificate my mother-in-law Norma gave me.  After a bit of experimentation with scraps of fabric, I launched into coloring the background of the eagle.  A bit more appliqué stitching... some shading and adding feathers to the eagle... and now perhaps I am satisfied with it.

I laid some of the borders beside the eagle to get an idea of what it's going to look like.

Friday, March 16, 2018

Americana Eagle, Embroidered

All of the appliquéing and most of the embroidery are done on the Americana eagle.  This section measures 30" x 40".  

Next, a whole lot of coloring and shading of the lower background areas, where head and tail blend into it too much.  Head and legs need a bit of shading definition, too.  But here it is so far:

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Sneak Peek of Eagle's Wings

I have the eagle for the Americana Eagle quilt all together, the muslin backing trimmed, and the eagle glued to the background.  Now I need to find a good fabric medium for shading the head and tail, so they don't blend in with the background.  I've begun appliquéing the pieces down.  Here are the wings; I'll show you the rest of the bird when I get details embroidered and the shading put in.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Fabric for the Eagle

I didn't have any fabric suitable for the bald eagle on the Americana Eagle quilt, so I paid one of our LQSs a visit.  Here's what I got.  Does it look like a bald eagle to you?  😁

My friend Jo, owner of the store, was there.  I went to school with her.  She was a nice girl back then... every bit as nice (maybe even nicer) now.  Such a pleasure, that one of our quilt stores, Sew What, is owned by her.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Center Background for the Americana Eagle Quilt

The central background for the Americana Eagle quilt is done, and I'm ready to label the pieces on the eagle print and start drawing them on freezer paper, in preparation to appliquéing them.

When I laid the quilt down, Tiger thought sure I was making him a nice bed, and was quite certain he needed to get in the middle of it.  I told him to stay back, holding up a hand like a traffic cop -- so, after a couple of admonitions, he stayed back.  But you can see from his poor sad face that he's downright woebegone about it.  When I finally picked the center and the borders back up and told him he could walk through, he purred loudly and rubbed and rubbed around my ankles.

There will be a plain border between the center and the pieced borders, and several more exterior borders, too.

Thursday, March 1, 2018

First Three Rows, Americana Eagle Quilt

All the pieces, except those for the eagle appliqué, are cut for the Americana Eagle quilt; and the top three interior rows are sewn together.