Saturday, April 30, 2016

Poppy Appliqué -- Block #8 for the Buoyant Blossoms BOM

Poppy is the block for May -- the eighth block in the Buoyant Blossoms BOM.
I used the outline stitch to embroider the filaments of the stamina, with tiny black beads for the anthers.  I used Lexmark Promarkers for the veins in the leaves.













You may purchase the rest of the patterns (or download the month's free one) for the Buoyant Blossoms BOM at my Craftsy store:

Sarah Lynn's Quilting on Craftsy


They are also available on Etsy:

Sarah Lynn's Quilting on Etsy



Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Buoyant Blossoms BOM Quilt Designs

This afternoon I've been working on quilt designs for the Buoyant Blossoms BOM.  I used Electric Quilt 7 for these designs, importing my own photos into the program for the first time.  I was pleased with how nifty it worked.

Layout for 45 ½" x 45 ½" Wall Hanging:

You will need about 2 ½ yards of background fabric.  For the rest... I just used bits and pieces of leftover fabric from other projects.  If you want it to look realistic, use batiks or mottled fabrics.

One more flower block... and then we'll do something different.  ;-)

If you intend to make this a lap quilt, you might like to turn the blocks to face outwards so it will be right side up no matter which way it is used.

I will design enough blocks for a personal throw... a twin-sized quilt... and a full-sized/queen-sized quilt.  There will be a medallion of some sort in the center of each of these quilts.

According to EQ7:
For the personal throw (54 ½" x 72 ½"), you will need about 4 ½ yards of background fabric.  
For the twin (72 ½" x 99 ½"), you will need about 7 ½ yards of background fabric.
For the full-queen (90 ½" x 99 ½"), you will need about 9 ½ yards of background fabric.  

Here is a tentative idea for the personal throw (subject to change at my whim):




And this, for the twin-sized quilt:




The full-queen:




You can see the blocks here:  Buoyant Blossoms BOM

They can be purchased at my Craftsy Store
or my Etsy Store.

The current block of the month is available free from Craftsy or Scribd (or $.20 from Etsy; that's the lowest price allowable on their website).



Saturday, April 9, 2016

It's Done, It's Done, The Christmas Tree Skirt Is All Done!

The ties are on it now, and it's finished.











Cat scan in progress

Christmas Tree Skirt, Binding On

The binding is on the Christmas tree skirt; all that's left to do are the ties for the back.  I'll finish it tomorrow.


Friday, April 8, 2016

Vintage Lost Quilt Found!

I just found the quilt my mother gave me about 20 years ago, one that was made for her as a wedding gift in March of 1936.  It was given as only a ‘flimsy’ (they did that, years ago) ... and my mother had it hand-quilted by some ladies in a bee in Kansas in the early 60s.

I used it in a cute little camper Larry and I fixed up a few years ago, and after he sold the camper, I lost track of the quilt, and was so afraid it had had been forgotten in the camper.

Well, I was just collecting some things that belong to daughter Dorcas so that I can give them back to her... peeked in a lidded tote to see what was in there --- and lo and behold, there was Mama’s quilt.

The quilt is made with the Three-Dimensional Dahlia pattern.  I was so surprised to see that, when my mother gave it to me, because it was the very pattern I used for the first pieced quilt I ever made, though the petals on mine are more gathered than they are on this one.  I liked the pattern so well, I used it at least three times.

This is a special quilt; I remember Mama covering me up with it when I was little.  Then  she put it away and saved it for quite a few years, and I forgot all about it.  I was so pleased when she gave it to me one day a few years before she passed away.








Saturday, April 2, 2016

Almost Half Done Quilting Christmas Tree Skirt

I'm just about to the halfway point on the Christmas tree skirt.

Micro-stippling around the ornament

Ornament pattern is from a book my sister gave me called 'Iris Paper-Piecing'.  It was originally a hot-air balloon with a basket under it; I added a point (seen in previous post) to what was supposed to be the top of the balloon, and a hanging loop to the other.


I split this block diagonally, as this will be where the slit is.
 

Partially done

Partially done


Poinsettia block now rolled forward and completed.


Manger block now completed.

Four blocks and three star rays are quilted.  I'll finish it next week.