Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Keira's 'Puppies & Kittens in the Flowers' Quilt

 Granddaughter Keira's 'Puppies & Kittens in the Flowers' quilt is all done.  Now for a hanging sleeve -- because this quilt is going to the Hill City, South Dakota, Quilt Show September 9th and 10th.

This quilt measures 67 ½" x 75 ½".  The batting is some sort of polyester of unknown origin; I'm trying to use up batting scraps.  Frankenbatting!  I tucked an extra layer of it under the letters of Keira's name.

The top thread is white 40-wt. Omni, the bobbin thread is white 60-wt. Bottom Line, both from Superior Threads.

I successfully used up the pale green fat quarter Keira herself picked out for one of my birthday gifts a couple of years ago.  She chose it because of the kitty/squirrel/fox/owl print.  I've been planning to use it in a quilt for her, somehow, ever since.  See it in the diamond shapes of two of the big blocks, in the pinwheels at the bottom, and in the small diamonds of the top left corner.

The puppies and kittens blocks and strips were all one piece of fabric that I found in one of my late sister-in-law Janice's bins of fabrics that she gave me at Christmas time 2014, a few months before she passed away.  She'd hemmed the sides of the piece to make a 'fake sham' for laying atop pillows.  When I took the hem out, it left a faded crease.  An asparagus-colored Crayola color covered the lighter green fabric, and a forest green Crayola color covered the darker green.  A touch of the iron (using a pressing cloth) set the colors.  Two or three of the other fabrics came from Janice's stash, too, as did the backing.  The backing is a thin, soft fabric that I suspect has some polyester in it.


















Addendum:  
Here's the big fancy ribbon I won for Best of Show at the Hill City, South Dakota, quilt show in September:





No comments:

Post a Comment