Friday, June 9, 2023

Turquoise Split-Blade Pinwheel Quilt & Bag Finished

 Today I put the binding on the turquoise, black, and white Split-Blade Pinwheel quilt, then completed the lined bag for it.  I had to make a bag for it, because the matching pink, black, and white Split-Blade Pinwheel quilt has a bag, and these quilts are for granddaughters Carolyn and Violet (sisters); so they have to have the same accessories. 

The quilt measures 64" x 76".  There is 40-wt. light turquoise Omni thread on top and 60-wt. white Bottom Line thread on the back.  The batting is Soft and Bright 100% cotton.  The pantograph is called 'A Little Bit This' (yes, I know that doesn't make sense, and no, I didn't name it).  ;-)

The turquoise-and-white swirl fabric on the back and in some of the triangles on the front was left over from dresses I made for daughter Victoria (Carolyn and Violet's mother) and her friend (now her sister-in-law) Robin for our 2015 Fourth-of-July picnic.

This quilt came about because daughter-in-law Amy found the pink quilt top at a secondhand store, with the matching bag (unlined; I took it apart tonight in order to line it) and a block that was evidently for a square pillow sham.  She gave them to me along with a piece of bright pink fabric for backing.  I wasn't particularly fond of the fabrics, but quilting improved it a lot.  Since Victoria once made herself an apron with similar fabrics, I figured she at least would like it, and so probably one of her little girls would, too -- and then I remembered all that swirly turquoise stuff I'd wondered what to do with.

The solution:  make a matching quilt for the other little girl.  I couldn't find a pinwheel block with that split blade, so I drew it in EQ8.  Tomorrow I need to line the pink bag and put it back together, piece, quilt, and finish the turquoise pillow sham, and put buttons on both shams.  Then I need to make labels.  What shall I put on the label for the pink quilt, since I didn't piece it??













No comments:

Post a Comment