Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Another Row on Sunbonnet Sue

I got a little more than a row done today on the Sunbonnet Sue quilt.  I might have gotten more accomplished, had not three bobbins -- count them:  one, two, three -- gotten stretched when I filled them with thread (Bottom Line #60).  And I didn't even fill them 3/4 full!  Aarrgghh.  

Once, the machine spit bobbin case, bobbin, and all right out on the floor!  That caused the needle to hit something it shouldn't have hit, after which Larry had to come readjust the gap between the hook and the, uh, ... thingamarolphgidget.  Thingamarolphgidgets are touchy things that want their gaps exactly right.

I had to change the needle... find yet another bobbin... readjust the tension, top and bottom... and finally, finally, I was back in business again.  But I only got 8 hours of quilting done, instead of the 10 I could have done otherwise.  Bah, humbug.

Well, here's what I got done.  Remember the rumples and rimples in these blocks when they were not yet quilted?
















6 comments:

  1. It struck me, as I was admiring each photo, and the beautiful quilting you're doing to these squares that were made so very long ago: the women who made them would be so dazzled, and your dear mother so very, very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! Isn't it too bad she (and they) can't see it? Some of my cousins are watching its progress, though. 😊

      Delete
  2. I agree with Carol. Your work is so very impressive. You have enhanced each one of the blocks with your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Carol, the ladies that made it would be so awestruck. I wonder what we will think of our future quilters. Even in my short tenure of a quilter, I have seen machine quilting come a LONG way! So fun to see changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nikki! While I wish I could've done this while my mother was alive, I didn't have the machine or the skills... So it's just as well I didn't know about these blocks back then. 😏

      Delete