Thursday, April 25, 2013

Schoolhouse Blocks

Today I made seven blocks for the Schoolhouse quilt.  I’m making it from an old kit my sister-in-law gave me.  This will be for my father-in-law for Father's Day.

On the half-page of extremely sparse instructions it says, “While we have done our best to make this pattern accurate, we cannot be responsible for mistakes or printing errors.”

Well, it’s no wonder they wrote that, because the pattern is terrible, the instructions faulty, and the templates completely wrong.  Not knowing this, I put them all together at the same time – and then had to take them all apart at the same time, too, because the roof was a colossal mess.  The background triangles at either end were not only the wrong size, but also cut at the wrong angle to fit properly.  I had to redraw and recut them both.

And now that I’ve taken pictures of them, I see that a few of the chimneys are out in left field.  Bother.  I’ll fix them – tomorrow.  The pattern must’ve been made back before the days of computer-generated patterns (or testers, evidently).

Moral of the story:  Put one block of unknown patterns together before doing the whole works at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment