Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Starting the New York Variation Quilt

I have two partial blocks put together for the New York Beauty Variation quilt... I’ll wait ’til the Venice lace arrives (just got a notice that it has been shipped) to finish putting the blocks together, in case I want to sew the lace into the seam. Now I’ve just done a bunch of calculations to see how many of each patch I need to cut from each piece of fabric, so I can do all the cutting at once. I have 28 one-yard pieces of cream-on-cream, 25 one-yard pieces of white-on-white, and four other one-yard pieces that don’t quite fit with the rest, which I might use in the borders. 

Here are the partial blocks. There’s a little more contrast between the cream and the white than it appears here, and there will be more when I quilt it, as I will use a dark cream thread in the cream areas, and a pale silver in the white areas. I will use two layers of batting (Hobbs 80/20 against the batting, and Quilters’ Dream Wool on top), so the quilting will show up well. 

Back to the cutting table!



No comments:

Post a Comment