Friday, July 20, 2018

Starting Vintage Sunbonnet Sue Quilt

I have started on the Sunbonnet Sue quilt, and will be using the vintage blocks made by some of my ancestors and their friends, neighbors, and teachers.

It's been 3 1/2 years since my sister gave me these blocks!  Time to get this quilt put together.  

I got the colored squares all cut  Tomorrow I'll cut the background pieces.  The blocks range in size from 16" down to 10.5", so I'll trim them all down to the same size and then add a border to make them uniform.  They need to be 13" to fit the design I put together in EQ8.

There are 18 large squares and 48 strips, each of which will make 65 small squares (I'll cut them after sewing colored strips to background strips).

The fabric is all folded and put back into bins (except for the background stuff), and the bins put away.  I have a lot of cutting to do tomorrow!





See the blocks and names of the stitchers in my original post of November 29, 2014:





4 comments:

  1. I love your setting. Let me know if you need some 30's scraps for your chains.....I have lots! This was one of the first block exchanges, BEFORE the internet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna, but I managed to rummage up enough fabric -- *more* than enough, actually. 😁

      Delete
  2. This is going to make a lovely quilt. I went back and looked at each block. You have quite the treasure there. I love how each person put their name in the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyce! I'm pleased to finally be working on it.

      Delete