Saturday, February 3, 2024

Working on a Friend's Quilt

I've been working on a friend's quilt for the last couple of days.  The pantograph is called 'Bouquet', by Hermione Agee.

This is an intense pantograph.  It's 11" wide, and takes about 33 minutes for one pass across the quilt. It's looking especially pretty on the white back, where it's more noticeable, as I'm using 50-wt. Aurifil in a medium pink color.  There's slightly darker pink on top, also 50-wt., but Mettler.  The Aurifil is 100% cotton; the Mettler is 100% polyester. I would've used all Mettler, but they only had one cone of thread, and it only has about 2,750 yards of thread on it.   I didn't think that would be enough for a 103" x 104" quilt, especially with this particularly panto.  So I hunted for another kind of thread in the correct color -- and had to buy the somewhat small Aurifil spools, which have about 1,300 yards on them.   I got three.  

You want to know how much that thread cost?!   $63!!!  I sure hope I don't have to use it all.

Tonight I rolled the quilt forward to the next row, basted and clamped the sides, put the needle in the correct spot -- and shut everything down for the night. I don't know exactly how much is done or how much is left, but I'd guess it's about 3/4 done.






No comments:

Post a Comment