Saturday, May 23, 2020

Starry Shadows Quilt, All Done

The Starry Shadows quilt is complete.  

This quilt has a major 'oops' in it.  At least, I think it's major.  Can you see it?  (No, it's not those patches that look white instead of off-white; they only looked that way out in the sunlight, because the print on that particular fabric glistens in the sun.  The print really is white-on-cream, same as the rest of the background fabric.)

Larry couldn't see the mistake until I pointed it out to him; so I felt a little better about it.  I didn't notice it until it was completely finished and bound.  This is what I get for not taking a picture of the flimsy (quilt top, before it's 'sandwiched' and quilted) before loading it on the frame!  First, I like to take pictures of quilts on my back deck, but it was raining.  Second, I couldn't spread it out on the bed, because someone was sleeping in it.  So, with >>displaced<< confidence and optimism, I loaded it and quilted away.

The quilt is for my niece Susan, who is fighting an aggressive form of breast cancer.  

Starry Shadows measures 56" x 70".  There's Omni #40 thread in 'Butter' color on top, and pale yellow Bottom Line #60 thread in the bobbin.  The pattern is from Judy Martin's book Scraps, and her quilt is called 'Hollywood Boulevard'.

The big pincushion is a Mother's Day gift from Teddy and Amy and family.  

And there's Teensy, sprawling right in the middle of the soft fleece robe whose sleeves I was shortening.  The tag says, "One Size Fits All."  The tag lies.

As usual, Tiger had to come along to see what I was doing back there on the deck.  He prepared to walk right into the middle of the quilt.  "No, stay off!" I told him, holding up a hand like a traffic cop.  Therefore, the squinty-eyed pathetic look.  😽😸

Okay, now I'll tell you what the mistake is, in case you didn't find it:  the bottom two rows, rows 5 and 6, are inverted.  Thus, rows 4 and 5 are positioned identically.  😑











6 comments: