Saturday, May 30, 2020

Jewel Box Wool Quilt Redo

A couple of days ago, I cut down the wool/corduroy/velvet/velour Jewel Box quilt (made in April of 2012) and rebound it.  I'd thought to just toss it, but Larry howled. I hate to see a grown man cry.

The quilt was a disappointment, because despite prewashing everything in hot water with color catchers twice, a couple of the reds ran in subsequent washes, soaked into one particular white, turned those patches pink, and spoiled the Jewel Box effect.  They behaved exactly like Color Catchers, every time I washed that quilt!

Also, I didn’t use batting, figuring the quilt was thick and heavy enough.  But I discovered I don’t like quilts with no batting.  Plus, one of the pieces I used for backing shrunk a little more with every washing, and the thing didn’t lie flat.  Another thing:  I didn’t like how some of the fabric feels whilst I was a-tryin’ to sleep under it.  Also, it’s too heavy.  So obviously the thing to do was to cut it down and create throws out of it.

So here's the first throw.  The pantograph is Bear, Moose, and Pines, from Urban Elementz.  Quilting was done in 2012 on my old HQ16.  I zigzagged the binding, because the wool is a loose weave.  Last picture shows the original quilt in 2012.

Larry used the quilt last evening when he took a nap on the loveseat. He was happy as a turtle on a conveyor belt.









1 comment:

  1. I really like how it turned out! Are you going to use the borders together to create another quilt?

    ReplyDelete