Saturday, February 2, 2019

Borders for the New York Beauty Quilt

Today I was in my quilting studio... walked out for a bit... walked back in -- and noticed several tiny black dots on the white and cream New York Beauty quilt draped over my frame. It almost looked like a small splatter of oil, and when I looked closer, I could see that the spots were very fresh, as the largest one was still spreading a wee bit. 

What in the world?? 

I looked up to see what could possibly be overhead that could have splattered down on it --- and lo and behold, there on the fan/light pull chain lurked a big ol' fat squash bug! 

AAArrrrrrgggghhhh, errrrggg, aaaccchhh. 

You can't just smack those things; they'll stink up an entire room. So I grabbed a flyswatter, put it right next to him, slid it up the chain -- and the squash bug, as expected, stepped onto the flyswatter. I gave him an expense-paid trip to The Great Outdoors. 

Next, I found the stain-remover pen that my brother gave me, and dabbed all the spots. That removed the worst of them, but not entirely; so I trotted downstairs for a white cloth, dampened it with hot water, and got some ivory bar soap. The spots were gone in short order, thankfully. 

Horrid ol' squash bug! Now I hate them for more than just their obnoxious stench. 

That done, I got back to cutting those odd-sized triangles for border #2. The first mitered border is on the NYB quilt, all the pieces for the next border are cut, and one side of border #2 is put together. Here's the pieced border (in picture #2, it's folded so you can see two rows) and one of the mitered corners:




No comments:

Post a Comment