The Crinoline Ladies quilt for granddaughter Violet is finished. It measures 86" x 86". The batting is Quilters' Dream 80/20. I used a variety of threads on top, from 40-weight to 60-weight, Omni, King Tut, Gütermann, YLI, Signature, Bottom Line -- and even some old J&P Coats, just because it was only thread in the right color. I used 60-weight silver Bottom Line in the bobbin.
The quilt was designed in EQ8. The central panel is by Michael Miller, and is called 'Dreaming of Tuscany Blooming Vase'. It measured 24" x 45" until I cut off the top and bottom borders and incorporated them into the side borders of the quilt.
The quilting is free-motion and rulerwork. The tops of the Crinoline Ladies are machine-embroidered with embroidery designs from Hatched in Africa. The vintage-look hankies are actually brand-new hankies from eBay. I saw several lots of 'real' vintage hankies, but the fabric was quite thin, and most were not 100% cotton, and the sizes weren't uniform. These were all cotton, all different prints -- yet all coordinating. I did wash them, as they were quite stiff. Now they're all soft and nice. I blind-stitched them in place and added a few beads and pearls. The coral-colored square pieces and beads were from a broken bracelet of mine; I figured Violet would like that, as she's a sentimental little dear.
After taking pictures of the quilt, I grabbed a few shots of the Rose of Sharon Hibiscus that's blooming profusely right now. Violet's Mama, our daughter Victoria, planted that hibiscus about 12 years ago, before she was married. It was only about a foot tall back then; now it's a good ten feet tall.
















No comments:
Post a Comment